Monday, August 1, 2011

Water—finally! And Rain.

All of a sudden someone, I think it was Sarah, said they heard Eric and Ana returning. My eyes strained through the darkness in search of their light and sure enough, I saw it glimmer.

I prayed incessantly and hoped they’d be walking slowly because that would mean they were carrying the heavy and awkward water jug. As they drew near, I could faintly make out the water jug that would block the light from their flashlight with every other step and I yelled, “Do you have water?” with an exasperated cry of hope.

 I heard Eric reply with his notorious confirmation of, “You betcha!”

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! We’re saved. For Chuck and I would have had to go that very night in search of help if they didn’t. So with water now, we could put it off till morning. I ran to them and helped de-contaminate it with Polar-Pure. But my thirst was so intense that I drank some from a ‘contaminated’ water bottle anyway.

Well, that night what we really needed was rest. So we set up two tents. The four-man and one two-man. There were four who decided to sleep outside on their plastic.

We all sacked out, unaware that it would pour cats and dogs later that evening! I slept horribly on a bed of jagged roots and had to get up to go find help with Chuck at about seven or eight in the morning. Two of the four outdoor sleepers ran into the tents, after being soaked to the skin. The other two, Dan and Eric, ignored their extreme lack of dryness due to their excessive exhaustion.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment